Jayhawk in Texas

I grew up in Kansas. But one job hunt and hiring later, we are now transplants in Texas. We have not missed the strange weather we were used to and everybody here seems genuinely nice. This is my attempt to keep in touch with my friends from all over.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

No Pain; No Gain


For those of you that I talk to regularly, you all know I have been taking a fitness class called Boot Camp. I do not think I have been challenged physically like this since high school and maybe even before that. The class begins at 5:30 (that is AM) until 6:30 and the most dreaded things of all about the class is that we run - a lot. 200 yard dashes were 'long' runs for me in high school. We run a minimum of 1 mile. This kills me. It kills me even more when we run with our 'weapon' - which is a 9lb bar.


Why do I put myself through this? I often ask myself that when my alarm goes off at 4:50 in the morning, when I am driving to place and when we are running.


But I am noticing things are tightening up and I have much more energy and most importantly I feel good about myself when I do this. Something that struck me is that our instructor once said, "You are doing more in an hour than most people will do the entire day. " That puts this into perspective somewhat, as I am soaking wet, trying to catch my breath.


So, I guess the addage, "No pain; no gain" rings true. I say this and truly mean it, but right now I would dearly love to go down my stairs without wincing. I suppose that will happen over the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home